Saturday, July 08, 2006

Literary Vacillations

I felt a little better after reading Ellaine’s latest blog post about how she was reading multiple books at the same time. I thought it was a bad idea doing that, but I couldn’t help it. I should have been reading Fyodor Dostoyevsky’s The Brothers Karamazov, but then I got sick and I couldn’t read so I stashed the paperback in my locker. I figured I should be reading something light, so I started on Mark Haddon’s The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, enjoyed it, but then got tired of it two-thirds into the book.

Next, I opened Philip K. Dick’s A Scanner Darkly, but figured I must go back to Karamazov, so I abandoned it again. But Dostoyevsky can be really tiring, so I searched for another book to read. Then I came upon the novelization of Superman Returns, so I got into that too. But I figured I should watch the movie first, so I didn’t even bother to finish the first chapter.

Getting tired of all this vacillations, I opened H.P Lovecraft’s Dreams of Terror and Death (the one Neil Gaiman introduced) and read two stories. The same night, I dreamt about Merwin, my former roommate who was killed at the Beta Way last year. He had all these green stuff falling out of his arms, and he asked me how I was. I couldn’t answer because I knew (in the dream) that he was dead so I threw the question back at him. Then he got angry and that’s all I can remember. When I woke up, I figured it must have been Lovecraft, so I put the book back in my locker again.

Just this morning, I picked up Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451. I should be able to finish it in a day or so. It was a pleasure to burn...

My current playlist:

  1. Death Cab for Cutie – Marching Bands of Manhattan
  2. Bright Eyes – Padraic My Prince
  3. Pale Sunday – 1978
  4. matt pond PA – The Moviegoer
  5. The Magic Numbers – I See You, I See Me
  6. Belle and Sebastian – Dirty Dream #2
  7. The Postal Service – We Will Become Sillhouettes
  8. PJ Harvey and Thom Yorke – This Mess We’re In
  9. Brendan Benson – Cold Hands Warm Heart
  10. Weezer – We Are All On Drugs


P.S It’s the free week, so I don’t have to worry about editing articles and writing columns this weekend. I figure I’ll spend the time with my cat Kira. She’s grown a lot since the last time I noticed! Meow... And there's this party...

P.P.S Okay, I'm sharing! A Scanner Darkly - get Portable Document Format(PDF) versions of Philip K. Dick's novel here and Richard Linklater's screenplay here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hoy jeeu, hindi gumagana yung link sa novel ebook, peor na-DL ko yung screenplay. pa-send na lang sa email.
-fuj

Jeeu Christopher said...

Woof! Sorry, forbidden na rin kasi ang rapidshare sa UP. Nagpalit palit na ko ng proxy, ayaw pa rin. Naaaccess lang pag bogus proxy ang ginamit to redirect, eh limited ang bandwidth pag ganun. Di ko tuloy madownload yung album ni Thom Yorke, although I have the link...Upload ko na lang sa yousendit, although I don't like it kasi 7 days or 25 downloads lang whichever comes first.

I was reading the production notes of A Scanner Darkly last night. It took 500 hours for 30 people working full time to render ONE MINUTE of the film! And that's just the animation part, the interpolated rotoscoping. Before that, they had to shoot in live action. The film runs for 100 minutes, so let's do the math...